Thursday, December 20, 2007

Week 6,7,and 8- The highs and lows of training

Been a minute since I wrote, so let gets down to business. During the past 3 weeks I have had a super hard week, then a recovery week (which I learned all about), and back to gearing up on time and mileage week. As training continues and you start increasing your workouts it is imperative to take a recovery week. The recovery week consist of less time but the workouts you do are intense and more of time trials to see where you stand. Also during recovery, your body has time heal and sometimes that means getting sick. That is what happened to me. During my recovery week, week 8, I got sick and went threw a couple bad days. I find it funny when I get sick that anyone I talk to has a cure for it. I heard everything from vitamins, to take shots of Jack Daniels and go for a run and sweat it out, to put Vicks vapor rub on your feet and put on socks. For me though when I am sick I will do anything to get better... so I did it all plus Sudafed and Zycam. I am not sure if it helped me feel better any quicker but the cold ran its course in 3 days.

During week 7 I had an interesting experience. I had just got back from swimming at the gym and I came home to run another 40 minutes. I was not feeling up to it, but it is those times when I know that I have to push myself because training is not supposed to be easy. Anyway I laced up my sneakers and left with the idea that I would run to pick up cash for a poker game that would be going on at my place when I got back. So I ran a route that I never run. I was on Fountain and Crescent Heights and was planning on running up to Sunset when I looked across the street and saw an old man on his hands and knees and his walker was a couple feet from him. I ran up to him and asked if he was ok and needed a hand and noticed that his hands had blood on them. I asked if he was having chest pain and tried to figure out if the situation was more serious than just a fall. He looked up at me with bloodshot eyes and said no and that he just fell and couldn't get up, just like the commercial. So I got behind him and picked his up. He held on to my soldier while I got his walker and I asked him if he knew where he was going. He seemed very confused and started going through all his pockets and a hidden fanny pack hanging from his neck and then pulled out a card that was from a senior assisted living home. It was clear to me at that point that he was suffering from Alzheimer's. He was at least 2.5 miles from where he needed to be. I then explained to him where he was and where he was supposed to go. He yelled at me and told me he knew where he was, then I explained that he was not where he thought he was and that if he wanted I would walk with him and get him home. So we started our trek down to Santa Monica blvd and I started asking him questions. His name was Alan and he had just moved down from San Bernadino. I asked if he had family and he told me that he did not and that he wished he did. The whole time we were walking he would say, "You mean I am still 2 miles away..... SHIT. SHIT. SHIT. How did I do that?????" I asked if he had a long day and he told me that he got up at 5am and went to his lawyers office via the bus and had a meeting. I looked down at my watch and it was 8:20pm. I told him not to worry, we would not walk the whole way. My plan was to go to the bank at the corner and get money to put him in a cab. We walked to an Exxon station on Santa Monica blvd.. I had him wait there while ran across the street to get money. When I got back he was in the same place and kept saying ,"SHIT how did I get there??? Isn't my building right down the street?" I kept telling him not to worry he would be home in no time. I then went and asked the gas station attendant if I could use his cell phone to call a taxi and I explained my situation. He told me NO!!! I was floored. So, I asked some of the 2 other sets of people pumping gas and told them the story and pointed to Alan. They said NO I couldn't use their phone. Are you fucking serious!!!!! I was so pissed. I asked them if they had never heard in Karma. I was dressed in a running cap and short and a long sleeve shirt. Do you really think I am hear to rob you or steal your cell phone? They both just got in there car and drove off. I went back to Alan and he asked me where the cab was and I told him not to worry I was going to flag one down. He looked and me and said, "Well if I can wait you can wait." This immediately made me laugh and I told him he was right and I was not planning on leaving him. Now tracking down a cab in LA is much harder than in other major cities, even on Santa Monica Blvd. I was looking down the road trying to spot one so I could walk out in the road and stop it not realizing that Alan was mimicking everything I was doing. As I walked into the road, Alan was right behind me walking into the road. I turned around and had to tell him to stay up on the sidewalk as cars were honking at him for being in the road. He just looked at me and said, "SHIT SHIT SHIT." I finally got a cab and gave the cabbie $20 and told him the address to take Alan and made him promise he would make sure Alan got in the building. The cabbie said Thank you for the huge tip and assured me Alan would be fine. I told Alan "Merry Christmas!" and shut the door. The cab drove off and I ran as fast as I could home to look up the address and telephone number of the assisted living home where Alan was staying. I found the number and called them to tell them the story. The lady told me that Alan had made it safely and that he indeed had been gone since 5 am. They were waiting to call the police because in LA you cannot call and report missing people until they have been gone for 24 hours. I think that is ridiculous especially for senior citizens. Anyway, I had a long talk with the nurse and she said that Alan was already in bed and asleep. I am now planning on dropping off a Christmas blanket to him tomorrow and saying hello before I leave for the holidays. I knew there was a reason I went running that night.

On to my schedule.

Week 6
Monday- 20 minutes on the bike trainer and then ran to bootcamp for arms and abs day.
Tuesday- Swim practice with the team. The practice was intense and I definitely felt the holiday break I took. Can't do that anymore.
Wednesday- Rode my bike for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Thursday- Ran around Beverly Hills for 42 minutes and then went to the pool to swim for 1 hour.
Friday- Day of Rest
Saturday- 2 hour bike in Griffith Park with the team. Great ride. There is 1 hill there that is killer. I rode it 3 times to try to push it, but I think it pushed me.
Sunday- Went for a 1 hour run in the morning. That night I went to the pool for a speed and strength session. It consisted mostly of short sprints.

Week 7
Monday- Barry's Bootcamp arms and abs and cardio in the AM. That night I did 40 minutes on the bike trainer.
Tuesday- Morning I ran from the gym to the top of Runyon Canyon and back without stopping. That night was swim practice with the team. Spent on hour in the pool and increased our distance.
Wednesday- On the bike for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Thursday- Swam that night then came home and ran. This is the "Alan Night." (above story)
Friday-Rest day
Saturday- 2 hour and 30 minute bike ride in Malibu. It was beautiful. I covered 47 miles. That night I twisted my ankle running after my buddy Dan after the John Mayer concert.... which was incredible.
Sunday- The flu has struck me with vengeance and my ankle is twisted. Boo.

Week 8- recovery week and time trials. Yeah, you read write.
Monday- Rest and sick day.
Tuesday- Still sick, but went to swim practice in the outdoor pool in 54 degree weather. I only finished half the workout because of the flu. Not my smartest decision.
Wednesday- Rest and sick
Thursday- Swim and Time trial. I logged 7:22 and 7:28 per 400 yds. I am getting better.
Friday- Time Trial run. 5 miles in 40 minutes. 8 minute mile. I am faster than that, but was not pacing myself correctly.
Saturday- Did not make it to Long Beach with the team but completed the workout. It was a brick workout meaning do 1 workout and transition into another with no real stop. I biked for 1 hour and 30 minutes then put on my shoes and ran for 20 minutes. Felt good.
Sunday- Swim TT. 1k straight swim in 20:04. The swim was easier than I thought, but very boring.

I am now going home for the holidays. I will be in Indiana for Christmas and Michigan for New Years. I am looking forward to training in the snow. Should be exciting.

Merry Christmas Alan.

3 comments:

Gv said...

That's an amazing story , Rich! Glad I found your blog. Happy Holidays!-Greta Valenti

Stanton Holmes said...

You're a great man, Rich.

Tones Bones said...

Wow, dude. Just wow. I don't even know you and already after having read 4 of your posts I know there should be more people like you out there.