Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Asics Shoe Review

Since the Summer of June 2005 I have been committed to one brand of running shoe, ASICS. Before this I had always run in Nikes. I ran in Nikes because I was sucked into there marketing campaigns and how I thought running shoes should feel. I was way off. I met an Asics representative, Bill Logee, at a friends backyard BBQ summer party and he had heard that I had just completed LA marathon 05 and knew that I was planning on running 2 more that year. He asked me what brand of shoe I wear and I told him Nike. He asked if I would be willing to try Asics if he sent me a free pair and I told him I will try anything if it is free. I received 2 free pairs of shoes, GT-2100, and some Asics gear within the month. From the first time I ran in them I knew that I would be a Asics runner for life. The first time I did my long run in Asics I figured out what real running shoes should feel like.

This brings me to my review of three Asics shoes out on the market now.

1. Asics GT-2120- I was hoping that the 2120 would be the same as the 2100 that I had fallen in love with, but I never got quite comfortable in them. I do not know if they were exactly built for my foot. I liked them enough to buy 2 pair and run through both of them. I think the shoe is great for someone who pronates and values stability over cushion. It seems to me that the shoe is built for the more common runner. I would run between 35-50 miles a week and found that the soles held up wonderfully, but the stitching at the base of the shoe was not strong enough for the pounding it was taking. I do not consider myself to have a wide foot nor do the shoe salespeople at the store, but this shoe made me feel I did. Also the midsole was made different than the 2100 I had grown so used to. I think this shoe is great for the casual runner or walker who is just starting to find their running style or they want something for running errands.

2. Asics Kayano- The shoe seems built for stability and people who pronate. There is extra cushion in the soul which I love. To me cushion is key. Still the shoes does not have as much cushion as I would like. I like to feel the bounce in the heel when I run and not feel after 15 miles that I am running on straight cement. The fabric around the balls of the feet is stronger than the 2120's which prevents tears. The shoe has a nice widebase which make it great if you ever take your runs off road. The Kayano is now one of Asics best selling shoes. All in all Great Shoe.

3.Asics Nimbus 9- Just the name of the shoe makes it sound like it should be worn by Harry Potter while playing Quidditch at Hogwarts. This shoe is made for the everyday runner who does not a pronater and enjoys cushion. The shoe is very light and comfortable and is padded around the souls with electric yellow gel. I used to think that the gel was just a placebo to give the look it was very soft. Well the look is true.... very soft. The shoe gave me the bounce in my step from mile 1 to 20. The shoes fabric cover all areas with extra reinforcement around the balls of the feet where I have had problems in the past (Asics 2120). After a long run in these I felt like my legs were tired and not that my feet hurt which was a great feeling. These are definetly the shoes for me.

"No one knows what he can do until he tries."
Publius Syrus, Ancient Roman Mime


No comments: